Canberra’s popular annual flower show, Floriade, has been cancelled for this present year, as the locked down Australian Capital Territory recorded an “artificially low” eight new cases of Covid.
ACT chief minister Andrew Barr said the lockdown was “working”, as none of the present new cases had been infectious in the community.
In excess of 4600 individuals were tested yesterday, yet health officials cautioned a change to way every day cases were accounted for now might have created a lower case number than may be expected.
Mr Barr said many would be frustrated Floriade, believed to have offered more than $44 million to the ACT guest economy in 2019, was not going on.
“It’s just not safe to operate large-scale events in any capacity in the circumstances.”
The entirety of the present eight cases are connected to known cases and were isolating at home.
There are two COVID-19 cases in hospital, however neither one of the patients is in hospital with COVID-related ailments.
Health authorities affirmed exposure site locations had now developed to 290, including Belconnen basketball stadium which was added today.
ACT Chief Health Officer Dr Kerryn Coleman said the present number was “probably artificially low” since announcing cut offs for case numbers had been changed.
She said the declaring of case numbers tomorrow would most likely be “back up to what we were seeing yesterday or the day before”.
ACT announced 12 cases yesterday and 16 on Friday.
New South Wales today announced 825 new cases, the most noticeably awful ever day for any Australian jurisdiction since the pandemic started.
Disclaimer: The views, suggestions, and opinions expressed here are the sole responsibility of the experts. No Chicago Headlines journalist was involved in the writing and production of this article.